Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things Like Star Wars Or Lord Of The Rings Tattoos

I have noticed recently that there are a few jobs being posted on the web for custom tattoo designs involving movies. In fact I saw one on my site a day or so ago for a custom star wars tattoo design. This was something that the person wanted to get done that would span across their calves. It was honestly a pretty cool plan for a design and might come out very artistically.
Then a few weeks back I was on about.com's tattoo and body modification website and found they had awarded a tattoo of the week to someone who had gotten a Lord of the Rings Tattoo done on their back. Again the piece is beautiful and very well done.
However with all of these movie tattoos things like star wars tattoos and Lord of the Rings tattoos I have to wonder if it is a good idea. There is a lot of debate in the world of tattooing as to what is a good design to get a tattoo done of. However almost everyone agrees that the most important factor bar none is your own desires and like or dislikes. For example if you went out and got a shooting star tattoo or Celtic cross tattoo just because you heard they were popular right now and you didn't really like it for any other reason then eventually you would grow to hate the tattoo. Sure at first it might be fun to show it off to friends and look cool and popular. But in another 20 years or so you won't probably want to show it off. That is when a tattoo becomes something much more personal. So most designers, tattoo artists, and tattoo customers universally agree if you are going to get a tattoo go right ahead. They are really cool and very addictive. However get one because it is something you like and something you will always like.

So should you get star wars or Lord of the Rings tattoo done? Well, of curse they are super popular items right now with the success of their respective movies. However that is not a very good reason to get one done. On the other hand if you have always been a fan of the series and it is something that speaks to you in a personal way then go for it. The sets in both movies and the complex story plots lend themselves to some very beautiful designs. Just make sure you are not getting it because the movie was just released and it is what is "in style" right now. For me personally you might ask? I would probably have to go with a Lord of the Rings tattoo. I have always loved the series and had read the books a billion times. Sure the trilogy coming out rekindled some of my love of the series but I have always loved the themes, allegory and symbolism portrayed in the movie. There is something powerful for me about the struggle between good and bad forces and the archetypal role of the wizard that Gandalf plays. I absolutely love the series and the books and could see myself getting a tattoo of Gandalf. On the other hand even though I like Star Wars and it is a lot of fun and I am excited about the popularity and success of the series it just does not speak to me in the same way. So it would not be a very good candidate for a Star Wars tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment